Do I have to major in music to participate in the Mighty Sound of the South?

As one of the largest student organizations on campus, the Mighty Sound of the South has members majoring in virtually every discipline offered by the University of Memphis. 

Do I have to audition to be in the Mighty Sound of the South?

Yes, but the audition should be a low-stress event. We pride ourselves on our ability to elevate studetns with a broad  range of experiences to a uniform level of perfromance quality. You can learn more about auditions for the Memphis Band here

How much time will membership in the marching band require?

Marching Band at the UofM is a class that meets Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Each year, we perform at 6-7 home games, the annual Bandmasters Championship, one regular-season Memphis Tigers away game, and a bowl game. Other performances such as parades, rallies, and exhibitions can also be scheduled. The time commitment is significant, but very manageable!

How do I join the marching band?

For a step-by-step guide to joining the University of Memphis Marching Band, visit our Join The Band page.

What should I do if I have a class conflict with Marching Band?

While we prefer to avoid class conflicts, we are sometimes able to accomodate them on a case-by-case basis. If this applies to you, please contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Are there any costs to join the band?

There are some costs associated with band membership in the Mighty Sound of the South, including the course fees for the academic class, and some small uniform items, such as shoes and gloves. For most students, scholarships are available to help cover these costs. When the Mighty Sound travels, there is no cost to students, and there are no student fundraisers. All you do is show up, perform, and have a great time!

Are there any Mighty Sound of the South scholarships available?

Scholarships are available to most students in the Mighty Sound of the South. A student playing in both the marching band (fall) and pep band (spring) can receive close to $2,000.

How do I audition for the color guard or Tigerettes (baton)?

For a step-by-step guide to joining the MIghty Sound color guard or Tigerettes, visit our Join The Band page.

How do I audition for the drum line?

For a step-by-step guide to joining the Mighty Sound drumline, visit our Join The Band page.

Does the Mighty Sound of the South travel?

Yes! We usually perform at one regular-season away game, as well as a baowl game. The pep bands also travel in the spring semester to our men's and women's conference basketball tournaments.

Print Email